[Termination tools] Rules of the WST competition

H. Zantema hzantema at win.tue.nl
Thu Apr 29 14:34:54 CEST 2004

I saw that in the mean time CiME has been included in the test results
page in the SRS category.

More general I propose that for every category X being a subcategory
of Y, all tools for category Y automatically apply for category X.

So tools for context sensitive rewriting and rewriting modulo AC
are also applied on the set of systems for (plain vanille) term
rewriting, and tools for term rewriting are also applied on the
set of string rewriting systems. The extra work for doing this is
hardly anything (a script for transforming SRS syntax to TRS syntax
is trivial to write and probably already available). I think the
result will be of interest. For instance, some people said to expect
that the match-bound technique from Matchbox is quite orthogonal to
the techniques of dependency pairs and path orders as they are applied
in term rewriting tools. If the above proposal is followed, such a
claim can be verified from the results of the competition.

Do you agree? Or are there reasons for not doing so?

		Best regards, Hans Zantema.

|   Dr Hans Zantema                    |   Hoofdgebouw   kamer 6.73  |
|   Faculteit Wiskunde en Informatica  |   tel (040)2472749          |
|   Technische Universiteit Eindhoven  |   fax (040)2468508          |
|   Postbus 513     5600 MB Eindhoven  |   e-mail  H.Zantema at tue.nl  |
|   The Netherlands                    |   www.win.tue.nl/~hzantema  |