[Fwd: Re: WST'04 Competition of termination Systems]

Juergen Giesl giesl at informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Mar 8 16:51:13 CET 2004

Dear Colleagues,

first of all, thanks a lot to Claude and Albert
for organizing the exhibition/competition.
I think most points in the rules mentioned
on the web are fine.

But I agree with Hans that there are still
some things that could.should be improved.
(I forward his mail again, since
he sent it to "termtools-approval" instead of
"termtools".) Basically, I think that most of the suggestions
he made for string rewriting
also hold for the competition on termination of
TRSs instead of SRSs. So to summarize, my suggestions
to improve the rules of the competition would be
the following:

1. I think that the problems should not be chosen
    from the data base by the organizers. This has
    two disadvantages:

     a) Since all these examples are known before, people
        can train their system w.r.t. the data base.

     b) It might give a strange impression if
        the organizers (who most likely
        participate themselves) have more influence or
        more knowledge about the examples than the other
        participants.

    Therefore, I think the better solution is that
    the examples for the competition come from the participants
    (as Hans suggested), where everyone can bring a
    fixed number of examples, e.g. 10. These examples
    should be unknown before to everyone, including
    the organizers. Since the competition
    will be performed on just one computer, this is easy to
    organize (the participants just have to bring
    their examples on a floppy or memory stick etc.)

2. I think that there should be several categories,
    not just TRS, SRS, and LP. For example, there might
    be a category for TRC with AC, just innermost termination,
    just full termination, etc. In particular, I don't think
    that it is a good idea to only to offer a category for proving
    both termination and non-termination. Since most systems
    specialize on proving termination, I think there should
    clearly be a category where only "YES" counts (here I completely
    agree with Hans). One could of course have another category,
    where only "NO" or both "YES" and "NO" counts, and then
    most likely only systems will participate in this category
    which have a feature for non-termination proofs.

Please let me know what you think about it.

Best Regards
Juergen