[Termination tools] announcement termination competition

Salvador Lucas slucas at dsic.upv.es
Tue Feb 15 10:28:08 CET 2005

Dear all,

I mostly agree with Juergen.

Of course, time is an important issue
for any software analysis tool.

However, in our setting I think it
should not be the most important thing.

On my side, I would prefer to concentrate
in implementing new techniques to test
their applicability in termination proofs
rather than trying to improve MU-TERM to
become a very fast tool. This is my main
motivation to join the 'competition'...

If we set a very low time limit, then the
possible application of new techniques and
developments could become just unnoticed.
I do not think this is so good.

On the other hand, fast tools will shine
anyway if (as expected) appropriate
information abou the amount of time
spent to solve the problems is given.

Best regards,