[Termination tools] termination competition

H. Zantema hzantema at win.tue.nl
Tue Mar 22 17:43:55 CET 2005

Dear colleagues,

A quite serious problem is the category LP. In the LP community
there are many termination tools, but most of them are incomparable
since they act on different kinds of programs / queries. Despite
of inviting people in this community to define a kind of intersection
on which a reasonable competition can be hold, there was no reaction.
Last year the LP competition was only on TALP and AProVE, both
applying standard transformations from well-moded LP to TRSs and then
applying a TRS tool. No new LP examples have been submitted in the
mean time. So if we again execute the competition in the LP category,
then just like last year it does not reflect the state of the art in
the area of LP. Therefore Claude and I propose to cancel this
category for the competition this year, but to keep the LP category
in TPDB.  What do you think?

In the new TPDB, two errors were found:

TRS/higher-order/Lifantsev/Ex9Maps.trs
TRS/CimeAC/temporal-logic.trs

where a variable in the rhs does not occur in the lhs. The 2nd
simply will be removed, in the first one the last three rules will
be removed. The resulting version will be put on

http://www.lri.fr/~marche/tpdb/tpdb/

soon.

One last issue: the tools TPA and TEPARLA. Probably you never heard
of them. These names were chosen yesterday. These tools are written
by a master's student and a PhD student here in Eindhoven. Since
they are written in different environments and apply distinct
techniques, we decided to submit them separately for the competition.
For more information see http://www.win.tue.nl/~hzantema/torpa.html

		Best regards, Hans Zantema.

|   Dr Hans Zantema                    |   Hoofdgebouw   kamer 6.73  |
|   Faculteit Wiskunde en Informatica  |   tel (040)2472749          |
|   Technische Universiteit Eindhoven  |   fax (040)2468508          |
|   Postbus 513     5600 MB Eindhoven  |   e-mail  H.Zantema at tue.nl  |
|   The Netherlands                    |   www.win.tue.nl/~hzantema  |