[Termination tools] web-interface for termination tools

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Thu May 26 10:27:56 CEST 2005

> To achieve direct access for the outside world to our termination tools
> it would be convenient to have a web-interface where every one can
> enter a TRS or SRS or program and directly apply any of our tools on it.

This is a nice idea (that was mentioned before on this list,
I think - including the idea of storing "interesting" inputs).
(BTW - is there an online archive of this list?)

It's fine that the Aprove group can provided a server.
Although it should have a more "neutral" address than

> ... http://aprove.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/  ...

since clearly, the presentation of Aprove should be separated
from the top-level interface to a group of independent tools.

I suggest that the competition organisers somehow "approve" ( :-)
the proposed top-level interface before making it public,
for instance by linking from the competition web site,
or in fact from rewriting.org.

Also I strongly support the proposal to use exactly the competition
version of the tools (and do no updates in between competitions).

Of course tool authors are encouraged to run their independent web
interfaces, presenting updated tool versions, improved user interaction
etc., and the top-level interface should contain links to these places.

Matchbox had a web interface since long ago, and of course the program
can be included in the proposed top-level interface. (In fact, since
it's free software, there's no formal need to ask for such permission.)

Best regards,
--
-- Johannes Waldmann -- Tel/Fax (0341) 3076 6479/80 --
---- http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ -------