[Termtools] A proposal for the next competition

Jörg Endrullis joerg at endrullis.de
Sat Feb 18 00:30:04 CET 2006

Dear all,

I feel totally misunderstood :)

I definitely agree that the aim of the contest should be to find the
most powerful tool! I don't care about the speed of the tools.

On the other hand I don't want the contest to take several weeks. The
aim of my proposal was the give every tool a fair time-out for the whole
TPDB (e.g. 2 minutes * number of problems). Then it would be possible
that a tool uses 2 minutes per problem or if it is faster on some
problems it can spend more time on other problems. That's why I
suggested to use two rounds. The first round to find out which problems
can be solved fast. In the second round each tool can spend the rest of
its time on the problem that it has not yet solved.

I am not in favour of considering problems as solved if one or two tools
succeeded on them - every tool should get a fair chance on every problem.

Regards,
Joerg

Juergen Giesl wrote:
> I think the question is whether we mainly want to measure
> power of whether we mainly want to measure speed. I'm in
> favor of mainly measuring power (also, because the systems are written
> in different programming languages and therefore, runtimes
> also largely depend on the language used and not only on the
> algorithms implemented). Therefore, I'm not in favor of
> Joerg's proposal.

This raises the question: which language has an advantage?
Current Java VMs are equally fast as C++: http://kano.net/javabench/