[Termtools] A proposal for the next competition

Jörg Endrullis joerg at endrullis.de
Wed Feb 22 17:51:04 CET 2006

Juergen Giesl wrote:
>> I am not in favour of this proposal. Consider the following scenario: we
>> have two tools {1,2}, 100 problems. Tool 1 solves all problems and needs
>> 50 seconds for each of them. Tool 2 solves the first 99 problems in 1
>> second, but fails for the last problem since it would need 61 seconds.
>> Which of them is the better tool?
>

> I think there is no "better" tool. Tool 1 is more powerful and Tool 2 is
> faster.

I admit that this is a possible point of view. But I would like to
consider Tool 2 as powerful as Tool 1 since both are able to solve all
problems. The only difference is that Tool 2 would need some more
seconds for the last problem and I think it "earned" this additional
time by solving the other problems faster.

Anyway I am fine with any solution that increases the time-out.

For me it is just hard to make friends with the idea that it depends on
the result of other tools that a certain tool gets more time to solve a
problem.

Jörg