[Termtools] competition, so far - and some remarks on matrices

Claude Marche Claude.Marche at lri.fr
Tue Jun 13 14:05:00 CEST 2006

    Johannes> Dear fellow competitors,
    Johannes> as always it is nice to see the competition running.
    Johannes> Thanks to Claude and Hans for organizing it.
    Johannes> And I'd like to welcome the new participants!

Let me say also that I'm very happy with the competition. Before it
starts, I was wondering if it will not be too boring, with
performances too similar as previous year.

Now I'm really impressed by the success of the new approach using
matrix interpretations. This shows in a very effective way the
progress made since last year.

This is especially satisfactory when you think this comes from last
year competition, when emphasis was made on the Zantema/z086
problem. I can't imagine a better argument to prove that such a
competition is useful for scientific progress !

(Now, I'm wondering how the matrix approach will behave in the TRS
category...)

May be it would be good to do as last year, and put focus on some
problem, not solved by any tool but apparently easy. I think a good
candidate could be the Waldmann/jw1 :

b b b -> a a a
a a a -> b a b

Any other opinion ?