[Termtools] Next competition

Claude Marche marche at lri.fr
Fri Mar 10 15:22:32 CET 2006

Hi all,

After your comments about the proposals of modification of the rules,
which were not very positive, I propose to change only few things :

1) one round with 1 minute time limit
   then a second round with 5 minutes time limit, for problems where
   no tool give any answer.

   The time limit will be passed to the "runme" executable as a second
   argument. You may ignore this info of course.

2) To encourage the idea of having the tool provide evidence of
   termination (or non-termination), the answer given on standard
   output will be expected to have the form

   first line : YES or NO
   remaining : a proof trace in english, with reference to criteria
   involved.

On the other hand, I'd like to encourage more kinds of input problems,
so

   . the LP category will be resurrected
   . the TRS subcategories with only one participant, cancelled last
     year, will be resurrected too.

     Remark: for the categories with strategies : in principle any tool could
     participate, by ignoring the strategy if it does not support it.
     it appears that in the TPDB, several problems classified in the
     innnermost or context-sensitive category are in fact strongly
     terminating. So I encourage author of tool to accept any strategy
     in the input file, and not to fail like it is the case now.

   . I'd like to propose new categories for functional programs and
     imperative programs. I have no proposal for a official input
     syntax, but if you are interested plase tell me.

   . I suggest also a category for OBJ programs, which are close to
     rewriting, but have sorts, programmable strategies, conditions.

   . Also, there could be a category for higher-order rewriting

Any comment welcome !

--
| Claude Marché           | mailto:Claude.Marche at lri.fr |
| LRI - Bât. 490          | http://www.lri.fr/~marche/  |