functional programs, was: Re: [Termtools] Next competition

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Thu Mar 16 14:15:14 CET 2006

Peter Schneider-Kamp wrote:

> This is probably a misunderstanding, too. I agree that we should have
> some declaration like "forall x, y" separate from the start term
> such that abstract variables are explicitly declared.
>
> I do not see the need to declare the type for these abstract variable
> in the "forall"-statement, though. In most cases this is not needed and
> in those where it is, type annotations could be used in the start term.

OK, I see what you mean.

Then let's make the "forall" declaration mandatory,
and the type annotation optional, but allow it everywhere:
both  forall x :: Foo . bar x   and  forall x . bar (x :: Foo)
should be fine.

And yes, let's have -- TERMINATES:  ...  for one-liners as well.
--
-- Johannes Waldmann -- Tel/Fax (0341) 3076 6479/80 --
---- http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ -------