[Termtools] versions of coq used in competition

Julien Forest forest at ensiie.fr
Mon Oct 27 20:12:36 CET 2008

Dear all,

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:58:44 +0100
Johannes Waldmann <waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de> wrote:

> the Aprove team alerts us to the following problem:
>
> only the most recent version of coccinelle
> features matrix interpretations.
>
> but this version does not compile with coq-8.2beta4,
> instead it needs a more recent coq version
> (a checkout from the development tree).

Not exactly,
the only distributed version of coccinelle which can feature matrix
interpretation is the one corresponding to the coq trunk branch.
On the other hand, this is not a problem to distribute a coccinelle tar
file for coq-8.2beta4 during the week (in fact I only need time to copy
a file and recheck my benches)

> We had the goal that all the experiments that take place during
> competition must be independently verifiable.
>
> the reasons being that (1) otherwise it's not science,
> and (2) the users of termination tools
> want to be able to install all the necessary software
> via downloads from  the competition website,
> and stable external archival repositories.
>
> The question is whether using some svn trunk version of coq
> is acceptable.

In my opinion, the competition should run under a relatively stable
version of Coq.
Being a coq developer, I must mention that the official coq-8.1 version
is now too old to be fully usable by us and probably by Color. The next
release to appear will be the coq-8.2 which should be very close to
it's actual beta4 version so that for me we should run under the beta4
version of coq-8.2.

> One might argue that this goal of using only stable tools
> is already broken by allowing rainbow/color from CVS and coq-8.2beta4,
> at the request of matchbox. This is delicate since matchbox
> is chairing the competition.
>

> So I'm inclined to agree with  using a coq version
> that can compile current versions of both coccinelle and color
> (I am checking with coq-8.2-11512 now).

As mentioned before, we do not need such a breaking rule.

Best regards,
Julien Forest