[Termtools] Benchmarks for TPDB

René Thiemann Rene.Thiemann at uibk.ac.at
Mon Jun 8 19:29:52 CEST 2009

Dear all,

at WST'09 there was an agreement that it is of major importance to
make the termination competition more attractive, also for people
outside of our community.
To achieve this aim, beside others the following two tasks were
identified:

1) The TPDB should be split into benchmarks (which may form some kind
of logical partition).
   E.g., the pure logic programs might be separated from logic
programs with cuts and predefined predicates, or one might separate
the applicative TRSs from the other TRSs.
   In this way, a tool does not have to implement that many features
to be competitive in certain benchmarks, making the outcome of the
competition more open and therefore,
   interesting.

2) The problems that are selected as problems within a competition
should be a strict subset of TPDB such that the outcome of the
competition is not clear in advance.
   Hence, some selection algorithm has to be implemented.

Obviously, for both 1) and 2) several decisions have to be made which
will have crucial impact on upcoming competitions.
To this end, I agreed to make a proposal how to implement 1) and 2)
which is then given to the steering committee.

To write this proposal I want to invite you to mail me your opinion
how 1) and 2) should be implemented. Then I will try to merge your
opinions with
all others to write the proposal.

Since the proposal should be ready soon, please mail me your ideas
until June 14.

Best regards,
René
René Thiemann                    mailto:rene.thiemann at uibk.ac.at
Computational Logic Group        http://cl-informatik.uibk.ac.at/~thiemann/
Institute of Computer Science    phone: +43 512 507-6434
University of Innsbruck