[Termtools] certification errors and inconsistent results

Thomas Ströder stroeder at informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Jul 29 11:41:14 CEST 2015

Dear Johannes and all,

First of all thanks for pointing out these conflicts!

Am 29.07.2015 um 03:46 schrieb Johannes Waldmann:
> Dear all,
>
> I implemented some automated consistency checks, and found:
>
> http://nfa.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/termcomp-devel/problems/9546/9548/9568/9569

This seems to be a bug in HipTNT+. The example is terminating.

> http://nfa.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/termcomp-devel/problems/9632/9652

The first one seems to be a bug in AProVE. The example is terminating.
We are working on it and will submit a fixed version today.

The second one seems to be a bug in UltimateBuchiAutomizer. The example
is non-terminating.

> http://nfa.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/termcomp-devel/problems/9663/9665/9682/9683

The first one seems to be a bug in HipTNT+. The example is terminating.

The second one seems to be a bug in AProVE. The example is
non-terminating according to the C99 standard. However, according to
C89, it would be implementation-defined behavior since non-termination
only occurs if we consider integer division of negative numbers (C is a
beast). What is the opinion of the other participants on integer
division of negative numbers? Shall we consider it to do truncation
towards zero as in the more current standard? Then I would add this to
the rules to make it clear.

Best regards,

  Thomas