[Termtools] mail test

Cynthia Kop C.Kop at cs.ru.nl
Fri Jul 13 16:00:19 CEST 2018

Looking at the output of both Wanda and Sol, it seems that the tools are
using a different kind of matching: Wanda says YES because she uses
/plain/ matching, while SOL appears to be using matching /modulo beta/.
Plain matching means that in examples such as myfunc (λxy. F x y) ->
myfunc (λxy. F y z) with F a free variable, the only instances of the
left-hand side have the form myfunc (λxy. s x y). Matching modulo beta
means that /any/ term of the form myfunc (λxy.t) matches (also if x or y
occur in s). Thus, the rules are terminating under the former
interpretation and non-terminating under the latter.

(Since the category is higher-order rewriting /union/ beta, not /modulo/
beta, I would argue that the former interpretation is the right one --
it's certainly the one that I remember agreeing on when we set up the
category, and using from the start. However, I can imagine that this
will give some debate if the definition of the input format is not
written down anywhere.)

Aside from conflicts, I must admit that I am quite concerned that Wanda
seems to be failing a /lot/ of benchmarks -- in the sense of apparently
not delivering an answer. Many of these are new benchmarks and might
have been due to a timeout, but this includes benchmarks that were
around long before and that Wanda can trivially handle. Wanda has not
been updated in at least two years, so it is strange that this should
change. Moreover, the prover output does indicate that Wanda is giving
an answer -- see, e.g., http://54.199.109.250:3000/pairs/381734197 and
http://54.199.109.250:3000/pairs/381734446 . SizeChangeTool suffers from
the same problem, being marked in red when the answer was YES in for
instance http://54.199.109.250:3000/pairs/381734376 . Could it be that
there is a problem with starexec?