[Termination tools] Re: scaling up SRSs

Claude Marche Claude.Marche at lri.fr
Thu Mar 11 15:32:57 CET 2004

    Hans> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Claude Marche wrote:
    >>
    >> Dear Hans,
    >>
    >> First, apparently your subscription to the list did not work, your
    >> messages are rejected. I guess you don't received the messages from
    >> others, right ?
    Hans> Yes, I got messages from others, and I got this message twice: once directly
    Hans> to my own address and once via termtools. I tried to subscribe twice, and
    Hans> the second time was successful.

Apparently you where receiving the messages sent to the list, but your
own messages where rejected. I hope it is OK

    >> Please look at
    >>
    >> http://www.lri.fr/~marche/wst2004-competition/tpdb/SRS/
    >>
    >> there is already an example with 15 symbols: a srs representing the
    >> permutation group S6. I plan to add systems for S7, S8, etc, which
    >> will have 21, 28, etc symbols (this is why I would like to allow the
    >> syntax with exponents...)
    >>
    >> I think one of the interesting issue in this competition is to see how
    >> tools scale up, when working on larger and larger examples.

    Hans> Indeed it is interesting to see what kind of SRSs you put there. Until now
    Hans> both matchbox and torpa concentrate on small SRSs: torpa typically up to
    Hans> 10 or 20 rules, and matchbox mainly on single rules or at most a few.
    Hans> I applied torpa to your turing-add system, and a very simple termination
    Hans> proof using only polynomials is found. I would be surprised if AProVE,
    Hans> CiMe, TTT or Termptation would have problems with this example.

What about the turing_mult ?

    Hans> Scaling up to bigger systems is one possible direction, but there are
    Hans> simple SRSs of only a few rules or even one rule on which all techniques
    Hans> until now fail. The same holds for term rewriting: there are applications
    Hans> in which termination of hundreds of rules has to be proved, and can easily
    Hans> be done by rpo. However, most examples in the Termination Problem Data Base have
    Hans> only a few rules and cannot be done by rpo. I think that both for string
    Hans> rewriting and term rewriting the real challenge is not in scaling up to
    Hans> dozens or hundreds of rules, and I would not be happy with too much emphasis
    Hans> on this direction, for SRS as wel as TRS. To illustrate this by an example:
    Hans> termination of the SRS
    Hans> h11 -> 1h
    Hans> 11hb -> 11sb
    Hans> 1s -> s1
    Hans> bs -> bh
    Hans> h1b -> t11b
    Hans> 1t -> t111
    Hans> bt -> bh
    Hans> can be proved to be equivalent to the well-known 3n+1 problem, also
    Hans> called Collatz problem or Syracuse problem, see
    Hans> http://164.8.13.169/Enciklopedija/math/math/c/c433.htm
    Hans> The equivalence proof is given in the full TORPA paper to be downloaded from
    Hans> http://www.win.tue.nl/~hzantema/torpa.html
    Hans> So apparantly one well-known big open problem in mathematics can be expressed
    Hans> as a termination problem of an SRS of only 7 simple rules: why should we scale
    Hans> up?

Interesting point of view: more or less you say that we should not try to prove
termination of systems with $n$ rules before having solved all systems
with $n+1$ rules...

My point of view is that there are more and more practical
applications of automated termination techniques, for example I am
currently working on how one may prove termination of OBJ or Maude
programs. For such applications, systems are not tricky as the syracuse
problem, but they may have hundreds, thousands of rules.

So, as I said, scaling up is ONE OF the interesting issues.

Of course, I will add your srs encoding the syracuse problem in the
tpdb !

    Hans> Below you find a list of 26 SRSs of one to four rules that are all terminating,
    Hans> and 38 single rule SRSs that were presented by Alfons last year on WST (not all
    Hans> terminating). Could you add them to the data base?

Yes, of course, new examples are always welcome

--
| Claude Marché           | mailto:Claude.Marche at lri.fr |
| LRI - Bât. 490          | http://www.lri.fr/~marche/  |