[Termination tools] Re: scaling up SRSs

H. Zantema hzantema at win.tue.nl
Thu Mar 11 16:07:03 CET 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Claude Marche wrote:

> What about the turing_mult ?

Often TORPA is in trouble for SRSs of more than 20 rules. These examples
are a good motivation for scaling up.

> Interesting point of view: more or less you say that we should not try to prove
> termination of systems with $n$ rules before having solved all systems
> with $n+1$ rules...

Not completely. But looking at large systems is a quite different direction
than what I did until now, and what was done until now in the TRS data base.

For many real applications SRSs may be large, in fact a PhD student of me comes
up with large SRSs as well, and this may be an interesting direction. But for
this moment it does not make much sense to put large SRSs in the competition
since as far as I know none of the present tools can deal with them.

In case the SRSs for the competition will not be drawn from a fixed data base
but may be submitted by participants (which I strongly recommend), then there
should be some restrictions on sizes: one should not like to miss a trivial
example like ten thousand copies of the same rule a -> b due to some array
overflow.

> So, as I said, scaling up is ONE OF the interesting issues.

I agree.

		Best regards, Hans Zantema.

|   Dr Hans Zantema                    |   Hoofdgebouw   kamer 6.73  |
|   Faculteit Wiskunde en Informatica  |   tel (040)2472749          |
|   Technische Universiteit Eindhoven  |   fax (040)2468508          |
|   Postbus 513     5600 MB Eindhoven  |   e-mail  H.Zantema at tue.nl  |
|   The Netherlands                    |   www.win.tue.nl/~hzantema  |