[Termination tools] qualifying for competition, entrance fee?

Claude Marche Claude.Marche at lri.fr
Mon May 3 18:04:44 CEST 2004

    Johannes> Dear Claude,
    Johannes> Does the name "tpdb/qualif" imply that a tool
    Johannes> has to give correct answers on these problems
    Johannes> to qualify for competition? Or just no incorrect answer?

just no incorrect answer, and it is not by any means an official
qualification procedure, but more a test for my own wrapper.

    Johannes> I am asking because in tpdb/qualif/*
    Johannes> you also have some TRSs with AC theory,
    Johannes> and our tool can't handle that (it will say UNKNOWN).

No problem.

    Johannes> Of course if qualification problems are known before,
    Johannes> we can easily "solve" them by "pattern matching",
    Johannes> but that's certainly not the intention.

    Johannes> Oh, and by the way, could you please inform this list
    Johannes> if you make any changes on the competition web site
    Johannes> (like, publish results of test runs -
    Johannes> there were some, but now they seem to have disappeared.)

No, I can't, this is just provided as is.

    Johannes> I guess that we (participants) are interested in test runs,
    Johannes> but you (as organizer) want to keep that to a minimum
    Johannes> (since it takes your time). I propose you collect a fee
    Johannes> (more or less "platonic", say 1 .. 5 EUR) for each run
    Johannes> (that you perform in response to a participant's request -
    Johannes> of course entering the competition implies at least one such run)
    Johannes> and that would later be the prize money.
    Johannes> (And you may keep some of it, to account for your expenses).

    Johannes> I think a (low) entrance fee to cover expenses and some prize money
    Johannes> is the usual procedure with any self-organized, small-scale tournament
    Johannes> (like, in Chess or Go), and it would be a nice gesture towards Claude.
    Johannes> So I invite the other tool authors to participate.

| Claude Marché           | mailto:Claude.Marche at lri.fr |
| LRI - Bât. 490          | http://www.lri.fr/~marche/  |
| Université de Paris-Sud | phoneto: +33 1 69 15 64 85  |
| F-91405 ORSAY Cedex     | faxto: +33 1 69 15 65 86    |