[Termination tools] Competition 2005 is over !

Salvador Lucas slucas at dsic.upv.es
Thu Apr 14 15:32:01 CEST 2005

Dear all,

First, I also want to thank Claude and Hans
for organizing such a successful competition
this year. You did a very good job! Indeed,
I think that TPDB is a very exciting activity!

Claude Marche wrote:

>2) In the rewriting categories, there are existing tools which did not
>   participate: (...), Muterm, (...).

I apologize again for this; I will try my best to participate in 2006.

>2) When should it take place ? If it was much before WST (or RTA), we
>   could have an opportunity the insert a report on the competition in
>   WST (RTA ?) proceedings.

I think better if the competition is made (shortly) before WST
or RTA. Having the results at hand is better to discuss about
new research directions, new problems, etc.

>4) Should we add new categories ? higher-order rewriting ?

I would like to suggest adding a new category (or categories)
involving real (rule-based) programming languages like Maude,
Elan, or Haskell... Even though only simple programs could be
managed (possibly after some transformations), I think that this
would be very challenging for everybody and would promote
new research directions in termination and also attract people
from other communities...

Best regards,

Salvador.