[Termination tools] Competition 2005 is over !

Salvador Lucas slucas at dsic.upv.es
Thu Apr 14 16:46:51 CEST 2005

Johannes Waldmann wrote:

> Salvador Lucas wrote:
>
>> I would like to suggest adding a new category (or categories)
>> involving real (rule-based) programming languages like Maude,
>> Elan, or Haskell...
>

> I'm all for Haskell ...

We do not need to limit the attention to only one language.
Maude and Elan are probably closer to the rewriting community.
Moreover, there are probably many issues which could be
addressed in a generic way, somehow disregarding the concrete
language...

>> Even though only simple programs could be
>> managed (possibly after some transformations),
>

> The tools should operate on the transformed systems
> or on the original programs? I think "original" is better but...

I also think they should be able to load original programs...

> writing a Haskell parser that "just" produces the AST
> and then removes syntactical sugar is quite a feat
> (it's the front end of a compiler, really)
>
> but even "core" Haskell is far from standard rewriting:
> I think you need types (sorts), higher oder rewriting
> and evaluation strategies (because of laziness).

Sure; this is the challenging point, of course :-)

> (Perhaps we should continue Haskell specific discussion separately.
> Who else would be interested

Of course, termination of Haskell programs is very
interesting to me.

> - be it competition or joint effort?)

Probably a mixture, but let's hear what people think...

Best,

Salvador.