[Termination tools] announcement termination competition

Aart Middeldorp Aart.Middeldorp at uibk.ac.at
Tue Feb 15 09:00:35 CET 2005

Dear Claude and Hans,

First of all, thanks for organizing the next termination
competition.

> * There should be a fixed time limit for each termination problem. It
>   is proposed to define it to be one minute.

I propose in addition to have a very short time limit
(e.g. 1 second), in order to stimulate the quest for
fast implementations of basic techniques as well as the
development of efficient automatic strategies. With only
a one minute time limit, it is very tempting to incorporate
as many techniques as possible into one system. For the
same reasons I think it make sense to keep systems in the
competition that were solved by all systems last year; the
difference in the employed techniques by the participating
systems is interesting as is any time difference between
different implementations of the same technique.

Cheers,

Aart