[Termination tools] Competition on Logic Programs

Juergen Giesl giesl at informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Mar 23 13:03:31 CET 2005

Dear Hans,

one the one hand, I think that it is a pity not to compete
in the LP-category anymore, since I think this is an important
area and one should try to stimulate competition in this field
as well.

On the other hand, for this year's competition, there are really
some convincing arguments not to have the LP-competition. In
particular, this holds if there are indeed no new examples and no new
special LP-related techniques in the termination provers. In fact,
we have developed a new technique for the translation from LP to
TRSs which is however not yet fully implemented in AProVE. And we also
have 200 new LP-examples, which we however didn't yet submit to TPDB.
So my proposal is to have the LP-competition again as soon as there
are new examples or systems with new LP-related techniques. (This should be the
case next year.) So if we can agree on having the LP-competition
again next year, it would be fine with us to cancel the LP-competition
this year.

Best Regards
Juergen