[Termination tools] relative deadlines

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Thu Mar 24 15:25:18 CET 2005

(if tools be published before secret problem deadline, then ...)

> ... everyone will
> make sure that his own system is the only one being able
> to solve his own secret problems.

Not necessarily. I think it is more interesting to look for examples
that cannot be solved by any one of the tools, because this would seem
to indicate "fundamental" limitations of the "union" of all currently
implemented methods, and could indicate directions for further research.

Instances that discriminate between tools will come up anyway, only
later. (Then we get to see "my method/tool can solve this but yours
cannot" slides in RTA talks and similar.) I'm not saying that this is a
bad thing, but I was just seeing a chance here to collect such
claims/examples beforehand, and to get them verified.

It was not my intention to sound negative here. We had a consensus on
publishing tool binaries, but there was no discussion on exact timing
(deadlines). Now Hans clarified this point, and that's fine with me.

Best regards,
--
-- Johannes Waldmann -- Tel/Fax (0341) 3076 6479/80 --
---- http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ -------