[Termination tools] deadlines

H. Zantema hzantema at win.tue.nl
Thu Mar 24 12:14:08 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Juergen Giesl wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> > Claude - since the tool deadline (April 7)
> > is before the "secret problems" deadline (April 8)
> > I assume (and hope) you plan to publish the tools (the binaries)
> > on the competition website on time (i. e. April 7 midnight :-)
> > so we can "stress test"  each other's tool,
> > and submit the test cases to the competition problem set,
> > so they will have some influence on the final result.
>
> Do you really think that this is a good idea? Then everyone will
> make sure that his own system is the only one being able
> to solve his own secret problems. Wouldn't it be more interesting
> if the tools and the secret problems have the same deadline
> so that nobody knows whether his own secret problems can be
> solved by the other tools?

Indeed it was our idea not to follow Johannes' suggestion. The tool
deadline and the secret problems deadline will be essentially
the same. The only reason why the secret problems deadline was put
one day later is that there is no advantage for the organizers.

My proposal is that the binaries of all tools are available on the
web when the competion runs, or shortly after it, but definitely
not before the deadline of the secret problem deadline.

I got cc's for some of the preliminary versions of the tools. However,
in order to get a fair competition I will not unpack and run these
versions: in finetuning the last version of TORPA and designing my
secret problems I insist not to have the advantage of having running
versions of the other tools, like you have them neither.

Best Regards

		Hans Zantema.

|   Dr Hans Zantema                    |   Hoofdgebouw   kamer 6.73  |
|   Faculteit Wiskunde en Informatica  |   tel (040)2472749          |
|   Technische Universiteit Eindhoven  |   fax (040)2468508          |
|   Postbus 513     5600 MB Eindhoven  |   e-mail  H.Zantema at tue.nl  |
|   The Netherlands                    |   www.win.tue.nl/~hzantema  |