[Termtools] some remarks

jwulp at win.tue.nl jwulp at win.tue.nl
Mon Aug 7 21:19:42 CEST 2006

> - Is TEPARLA different from last year's version?

There are a few differences, this year's version uses multi-threading: different
search approaches are searched concurrently. More precisely; for a relative
termination problem SN(R/S) the following problems are considered in different
threads:

 - SN(R/S)
 - if S is empty SN(R + DP(R))
 - if R and S contain only unary symbols SN(rev(R) / rev(S))

Another difference is that with the new version all search procedures for
(quasi-)models for semantic labelling and polynomial interpretations are fully
deterministic. Furthermore `simpler' interpretations are tried before
complicated ones. These things makes the output of TEPARLA more predictable and
sometimes better readable.

No new techniques were added to this years version. In fact not much work has
been done on TEPARLA since September 2005. With a bug fix (for the segmentation
faults) and some more tuning to the new database the total score of the new
TEPARLA can be increased somewhat (around 10 problems). For more significant
improvements a more effective way of generating (quasi-)models for semantic
labelling or more powerful techniques for proving direct termination are needed.
Judging from the remarkable performance of Jambox this year, adding matrix
interpretations seems a good choice for the second point. For the first point I
have so far only looked into generating (quasi-)models and then sifting out
(quasi-)models based on some simple criteria. But with recursive application the
search-space grows very fast and the filter criteria were not effective enough
to actually see results within a minute of time per problem.

I will not be there next week; but I wish everyone a good trip.

Jeroen