[Termtools] Future of the Termination Competition

Zantema, H. h.zantema at TUE.nl
Mon Jul 2 10:19:53 CEST 2007

Dear colleagues,

On the business meeting of WST, June 29, 2007, Paris, we agreed on the
following format for an ongoing competition:

* At any moment new versions of tools and new problems can be submitted,
and corresponding tools will be run, resulting in an updated web page
showing the current results.

* At particular moments a situation will be frozen and reported, e.g. on
WST.

* All versions of all tools and corresponding results will be stored and
remain accessible.

Moreover, we agreed on the following format for a steering committee:

*         There is a steering committee responsible for all decisions.

*          Every participating tool may have a representative in the
steering committee.

*          The steering committee elects a chair for a fixed period
(e.g. two years) responsible for initiating and reporting processes.

*          Some one else is the organizer who runs the competition.

The termtools list remains the discussion forum for all relevant topics.

Decisions are made by the steering committee by majority, for instance
on the following topics:

* Where to run the competition (Innsbruck, Leipzig, Paris)?

* Introduce specialized subcategories?

* How to deal with certification?

* Reorganize TPDB?

* Count YES / NO separately?

* Define weighted scores?

* Time limits?

For implementing this the first step to do now is to establish the
steering committee. As soon the steering committee has been established,
they can elect a chair and decide how to implement the competition in
the ongoing format.

For doing this first step, I should like to receive the following
information from each participating tool:

*         Do you want to be represented in the steering committee?

*         If so, who will be the representative?

            Best regards, Hans Zantema.

Dr Hans Zantema

Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, Department of Computer Science

P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands

e-mail: H.Zantema at tue.nl, homepage: www.win.tue.nl/~hzantema

office: Hoofdgebouw room 6.73, tel: (040)2472749