[Termtools] Remarks on the Termination Competition

Claude Marché Claude.Marche at lri.fr
Tue Jun 12 13:58:46 CEST 2007

    Juergen> After all, this "competition" is not really concerned with money or anything like
    Juergen> that, and we should not behave like competitors, but like colleagues. Therefore,
    Juergen> my proposal would be the following:

    Juergen> - Give all tools with known bugs the chance to repair these bugs. We would trust
    Juergen>    the tool authors that they only perform bug fixes and will not tune their tools further.
    Juergen>    One should impose a deadline for the submission of the repaired tools
    Juergen>    (e.g., beginning of next week).

This proposal cannot be applied for this year's competition for 2
reasons:

1) This opportunity to repair tools has not been given last year to
   muterm and cime

2) I already spent too much time on installing tools, fixing
   runme scripts and such.

For me, competition 2007 is over.

Next, I am resigning from the competition organization. Johannes and
Hans will continue to organize it, and I think they need at least
another person to join them. I propose that volunteers tell us they
are by sending a mail to this list. If necessary, we could vote at
WST to elect a new organization member (or several).

Finally, Johannes has a proposal to solve the problem with buggy
tools: to have not a yearly competition but an "on-going" competition,
for which new tools could participate at any time. I strongly support
this idea.

- Claude

--
Claude Marché                          | tel: +33 1 72 92 59 69
INRIA Futurs - ProVal                  | mobile: +33 6 33 14 57 93