[Termtools] Remarks on the Termination Competition

Zantema, H. h.zantema at TUE.nl
Tue Jun 12 14:02:40 CEST 2007

Dear all,

I am not in favor of Juergen's proposal.

The 2007 competition has finished now, with the results as we can read
on the web page. I just saw Claude's email with the same conclusion.

Juergen mentions two problems motivating his proposal.

1. Unclear time limits. Indeed this was a problem. On the competition
web page it was announced that the time limit would be in between 1 and
5 minutes. Separate from that in discussions on termtools I proposed
only to change time limits if this was announced in advance. Apparently
this proposal was not followed by Claude, but he followed the range as
it was announced on the web page.

2. Bugs found in tools. I think this is not different than other years.
Remember that last year also there were two disqualifications: one due
to a YES generation for a non-terminating TRS and one due to wrong
proofs with agreement with the tool author. This year it was exactly the
same, with the only difference that we decided not to show the
disqualified tools. This decision was motivated by undesired effects of
showing disqualified tools.
There were indications that referees of papers written by disqualified
tool authors were already negative in advance before even having read
the paper. Of course this attitude is not fair, but we do not have any
control on this. Due to this kind of undesired effects we preferred not
to emphasize disqualifications.

The fact that the TTT2 team now finds an error in their tool is in my
view no reason of disqualifying / removing TTT2 from the competition
results pages. Several other tool authors found errors in their tools
after the competition was finished without any consequence for the
result pages.

Juergen's arguments are mainly arguments in favour of an ongoing
competition, in which any column in the competition result page can be
renewed as soon as the corresponding tool comes with a new release, and
the result page always show the results for the newest versions of all
tools. There are several arguments against or in favour of this other
format; I think we should only switch to such a format after more
discussion.

            Best regards, Hans Zantema.

Dr Hans Zantema
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, Department of Computer Science
P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands
e-mail: H.Zantema at tue.nl, homepage: www.win.tue.nl/~hzantema
office: Hoofdgebouw room 6.73, tel: (040)2472749