[Termtools] Naive comments from an occasional visitor

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Mon Nov 10 16:20:08 CET 2008

Dear Claude, thanks for your comments.

I agree (as a participant), but decisions are made by the committee,
and implemented by the host of the competition.

> In previous years, it was possible to get information on the tools by
> clicking on their name in the first row. With new interface I'm unable
> to get this info: who are the authors of the new tools ? Where is it
> developed? is there a web page ?

You are right. There are web pages for tools at
http://termination-portal.org/wiki/Category:Tools
but in my opinion it is important that exactly the tool versions
(zip files, as submitted) that were running in competition
should be available from the competition web site.

> occasional visitor of the competition site, I would really expect that
> Cime3 column should be hidden since results are unreliable.

Yes. Committee, please answer this:
should we allow  withdrawal of implemenations:
http://lists.lri.fr/pipermail/termtools/2008-November/000650.html

> By the way, I thought one of the idea of the new competition rules was
> that it should be possible to rerun a tool at any moment, right ?

Yes, so withdrawing an implementation shouldn't be too dramatic,
since a repaired version can be submitted later. But still,
at the moment automatic re-runs seem not to be possible (technically),
and even if they were, the committee hasn't decided about the rules.
Then, we wanted to have an ongoing competition but still some fixed
deadlines, where current data is collected and some report is produced
(by humans). Again, we need rules and announce them
(what data will the report refer to).

Best regards, Johannes.