[Termtools] LP and FP competition

Juergen Giesl giesl at informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Oct 15 12:18:34 CEST 2008

Dear all,

> > I suggest the principle that a category needs at least two
> > participants.
> > Otherwise, it's a demonstration, which still may have value,
> > e.g. to document progress (comparison with earlier versions),
> > or to attract new participants.

I think that in the case of LP and FP, we should have these categories,
irrespective of the number of participants. There are 2 main reasons:

1. These are the only categories which handle real programming
   languages. If we want to give the impression that we are interested
   in practical applications and that we are also interested in areas
   outside of term rewriting, then these categories are really crucial.
   Otherwise, the interest of the outside world (outside meaning outside
   of the RTA-community) in the whole termination competition will
   be very limited.

2. These categories were part of the competition up to now. If they
   are dropped from the competition now, then one has to refer to the
   old competition and website whenever one speaks about these
   categories. Having the competition separated in
   two different locations and websites is not a good idea.

Best Regards
Juergen