[Termtools] LP and FP competition

Simon Bailey simon.bailey at uibk.ac.at
Wed Oct 15 13:01:59 CEST 2008

dear all,

On Oct 15, 2008, at 12:18 PM, Juergen Giesl wrote:
>>> I suggest the principle that a category needs at least two
>>> participants.
>>> Otherwise, it's a demonstration, which still may have value,
>>> e.g. to document progress (comparison with earlier versions),
>>> or to attract new participants.
>
> I think that in the case of LP and FP, we should have these
> categories,
> irrespective of the number of participants. There are 2 main reasons:
>
> 1. These are the only categories which handle real programming
>   languages. If we want to give the impression that we are interested
>   in practical applications and that we are also interested in areas
>   outside of term rewriting, then these categories are really crucial.
>   Otherwise, the interest of the outside world (outside meaning
> outside
>   of the RTA-community) in the whole termination competition will
>   be very limited.
>
> 2. These categories were part of the competition up to now. If they
>   are dropped from the competition now, then one has to refer to the
>   old competition and website whenever one speaks about these
>   categories. Having the competition separated in
>   two different locations and websites is not a good idea.

i agree. i have three questions regarding the technical modalities of
these categories:

1) do you require any extra software (haskell, prolog, ocaml, ...) to
be installed?
2) in the LP category, how do the tools determine the query mode? (is
it parsed from the input file or passed by the execution environment?)
3) does the return value correspond to the rest of the competition?
(first line YES/NO/MAYBE, rest is proof)

regards,
sb
--
Simon Bailey