[Termtools] semantic issues with the LP examples

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Wed Oct 29 10:56:21 CET 2008

Dear Peter,

thanks for looking into this.

Basically, I would not like to remove anything from TPDB
except for obvious errors or duplicates.
The goal was completeness, and also comparability
with earlier instances of the competition
(in this light, even duplicates might be kept)

> These do not contain any clause definitions at all.

So what :-) The empty rewriting system is still a rewriting system.

> This is a problem as basically all tools handle unknown
> predicates differently. [...]

Then the participants of the LP category should
define a semantics that all can agree with.

If there is no such agreement, then several ways
of "handling undefined predicates" should be defined,
and added as annotations to the termination problems.

I guess that cannot be done in the next few days.

So I support your suggestions of
not using the questionable instances in the current competition
and still keeping them in some special place inside TPDB.

Is there at least an agreement on what are the questionable instances?

Peter, can you provide a list of file names, so that others
could check, and Simon can use it for working on the data base.

Please make a wiki page for the LP category, and put the
list there - and any other issues specific to that category.

Could the LP people please name someone who feels responsible
for that page from then on. (Cf. the complexity category page
that is maintained by Georg Moser.) The same idea could
ultimately be applied to all categories but it does not seem urgent now.

Best regards, Johannes.