[Termtools] Call for Complexity Related Problems

Georg Moser georg.moser at uibk.ac.at
Tue Jun 22 18:43:02 CEST 2010

Dear Fabian,

thank you very much for your observation! You are right, we should not
consider these examples for the RC, iRC categories.

On the other hand for some of the examples you would like to exclude, I
would prefer a different remedy. Consider for example AG01/#3.21:
wouldn't it make more sense to alter this TRS so that the constant $1$
is represented as $s(0)$? Then we can indeed speak about the runtime
complexity of $times(s^n(0),s^m(0))$ proper.

Coming back to my earlier email: I suspect that at least for the
majority of the examples you mention, there should be sensible TRSs
which could be put into a new family RC.

best wishes,
Georg

ps: Note that we have only considered a part of these examples in the
last competition, in particular we do not consider TRSs in 'innermost'
or 'SRS' families, for obvious reasons. Only those TRSs in the following
list were selected (see also the corresponding entry in the wiki.)

AG01

AotoYamada_05

Applicative_05

Applicative_first_order_05

AProVE_04

AProVE_06

AProVE_07

AProVE_08

Beerendonk_07

CiME_04

Der95

Endrullis_06

GTSSK07

HirokawaMiddeldorp_04

Mixed_TRS

Rubio_04

Secret_05_TRS

Secret_06_TRS

Secret_07_TRS

SK90

Strategy_removed_AG01

Strategy_removed_CSR_05

Strategy_removed_mixed_05

Transformed_CSR_04

Various_04

Waldmann_06

Zantema_05

AProVE_09_Inductive

Still your analysis shows that an impressive list of problems need not
be considered.