[Termtools] Call for Complexity Related Problems

Georg Moser georg.moser at uibk.ac.at
Wed Jun 23 18:51:05 CEST 2010

Dear Fabian,

> Indeed, it should be possible to translate most of the
> examples to a variant for which (i)RC analysis makes sense.
> But one would have to consider each example separately to
> capture its idea.

true, but I think one could concentrate first at the examples in AG01 or
SK90, as these are well-documented.

> What is the rationale for not analyzing innermost systems?
> In my opinion at least for _i_RC analysis this would be
> useful.

Essentially the observation was that we didn't have enough information
about the content of the additional innermost examples. We only knew
that some are duplicates (actually no longer that many). Hence, we
decided to ignore them for the time beeing.

Actually your tests indeed strengthen this point, as out of 358
additional examples 128 should be removed according to your suggestion.

I think the main point now is how to proceed. Eliminating these TRS from
the TPDB is out of the questions. Always using a different testbed than
TPDB in the competition is also no option. Checking against your list is
easy to implement, but cumbersome if the TPDB grows (which it will).

What we could do is to incorporate your tests into the selection
procedure, in a similar way as the test for non-duplicating TRS are
performed. Would you agree to that?

cheers, Georg