[Termtools] suggestion: complete run

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Tue Nov 22 15:55:11 CET 2011

Dear all,

I suggest that a complete run
(all provers (as submitted for last competition), all problems)
be executed on the competition platform
(assuming some idle time can be found).

Reasoning: this would give a more complete impression
of the hardness of certain problems, and a better estimation
of the improvements (or otherwise) over the years.

A possible objection could be that this would de-valuate
the original competitions ("yes tool X won the random selection
but let's wait for the full results").

Well, we would not formally announce a winner of a full run
(it's not needed for the above motivation) -
and even if we did, for the computation of the winner,
the sizes of the problem families should be taken into account:
what was a probability distribution for the problems,
now should become a weight distribution for the results.

Best regards, Johannes.