[Termtools] LP and FP competition

Claude Marché Claude.Marche at inria.fr
Wed Oct 15 15:41:27 CEST 2008

Dear all,

First let me say that I like very much the new site for the termination
competition. I know this required a hard job so I'd like to congratulate
the developers for their efforts.

Regarding the queries for LP problems: indeed, each problem of the TPDB
contain some form of a query, but there was no consensus on the form of
queries. LP inputs are supposed to be correct prolog programs, but
queries, of the form P(i,o,i,..) are not valid clauses. The rules of the
competitions for the LP category explain that the query is given as an
extra argument. This extra argument was produced by the former
competition engine by recognizing each particular form of queries seen
in the TPDB files and making them under a common format.

Now, I think it would be better to decide of a common format of queries
directly inside the input file, so that this extra argument is not
needed anymore.

Hope this helps,

- Claude