[Termtools] upcoming competition

Simon Bailey simon.bailey at uibk.ac.at
Wed Oct 29 15:46:29 CET 2008

hi,

On Oct 29, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> I confess I don't recall why we wanted to have this 24 hour period.
> (Are there any technical reasons?)

yes and no. the competition is a scheduled job. when the job is
scheduled, the active tool implementations are added to the job in a
datamap. of course the competition can be fired by hand, but that
means that i or another friendly volunteer needs to sit at a computer
at 00:01am on saturday.

that's the technical reasoning. my personal interest is that i'd
prefer not to be sat at a computer in the middle of friday night and
would like to sleep in on saturday... (and this is why schedulers such
as cron and quartz were invented, i assume).

conclusion: a submission deadline makes sense, what's the smallest
time period tool authors can live with?

regards,
sb
--